Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What Super Hero are You?

Do you ever hear someone say this to you? 

"You need to slow down...you are burning your candle at both ends." 

How do you react? Do you slow down? Do you keep going? Do you go harder since you know you can be Superman or Superwoman when given a 1000 tasks? 

I tend to be the latter...SUPER WOMAN.  I can do anything and everything and I CAN burn my candles at both end because I am SUPER WOMAN!!! 

Since I am SUPER WOMAN, this is what I hear in my head, from the Broadway musical "Annie Get Your Gun",

"Anything you can do I can do better; I can do anything better than you."

I tend to put a lot on my plate. I LIKE being busy. I coach CrossFit, coach triathletes, started an 8 Week Complete Fitness Challenge at a local doctors office in San Antonio, lift, CrossFit, run, bike, take care of my husband, my dog and my cat. I try to get new clients for triathlon coaching. I have new ideas and ambitions to think OUTSIDE the box. I put on events at Body Armor and we just had "I Love the 70's WOD".  I blog. I LOVE to write. I write articles. You get my point...

Last week, I was told differently.

Tuesday:  Felt tired,  BUT I went to CrossFit at noon and worked on some lifts. As I was working on a heavy split jerk (130 lbs), I rolled my ankle with the weight overhead. I dropped it...didn't think anything of it. Later on that day, I coached and I had a hard time walking on it. Oh well, I will go to Dr. Lopez from Airrosti...he will fix it. I have been feeling a bit frustrated with my workouts lately and really didn't know why?

Wednesday: Coached 5:15/6:15 and 8:30. Pretty tired, so I decided I would workout that evening, so I went to Central Market to get some breakfast. Around 9:00, I wasn't feeling the best. Kept coaching, did some stuff to get ready for the 70's WOD and left around 10:30. Something wasn't right...I got home and had the WORSE 15 hour BUG, that I have had in a LONG time. I slept, didn't eat anything really solid until Friday and tried to drink water and Gatorade most of that day.

Guess what...my God (your higher power or whatever you choose to call it) told me different. You are not Super Woman and you CAN'T burn your candle at both ends. It is time to have you rest. Well, that is exactly what I did for 5 days. I did NOT workout...I took advantage of the down time and LOVED every minute of it.

Fast forward to Monday...

Monday: Worked out at CrossFit, rode my bike for an hour and ended up meeting the pavement off of North Alamo with my thigh and elbow. I didn't cry. I said a few bad words cause it HURT so bad. BUT, I felt recovered, refresh and ready to go. Put my bike back in order, so I could ride back to my car. Took care of my wounds that day and had to laugh it off. I was thankful that I wasn't more hurt, a car didn't hit me or that I was in the hospital due to something worse. I still have two arms, two legs, a heart to keep me going and lungs to breathe. Just a nice strawberry on my leg...

The moral of the story is...take the down time that has been offered to you. Embrace it. Enjoy it. LOVE it. Clean up that wound, whether it was a strawberry or a bug, get back on that bike or get under that lifting bar and EMBRACE that moment because YOU CAN. 
You, honestly, never know when that next down time will be :)

1 comment:

Max Wedge said...

This was an enjoyable read ... life is funny about reminding us of our mortality .. Thanks for sharing .