Sunday, March 4, 2012

CrossFit Open WOD 12.2 and my OCD :-)

Burpees now Snatches...it was a tough one if you haven't heard by now:


Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 10 minutes of:
30 Snatch (M 75 / F 45 lbs)
30 Snatch (M 135 / F 75 lbs)
30 Snatch (M 165 / F 100 lbs)
Max Rep Snatch (M 210 / F 120 lbs)




It was great because I coached the athelte's at Body Armor CrossFit through the workout at the 8:30 and the noon, so I was able to see what was going to work, where people fatigued and what people did wrong. But this was an interesting one for me since my Max Snatch Lift is only 85 lbs...I knew I could get to 60 reps in 7-8 minutes...could I get that 100lb Snatch Lift in 2 minutes, when I couldn't get past 85 lbs in 6 months?

I have always been a competitor, so I knew going into it that I needed a plan and stick with it...even if my OCD came out.  This was what I planned in my head:
  • For the 45 lbs: Bella Bar (33lbs) with 2 x 1 lb plates and 5 lb plates on each side. I planned to do the first 20 in a row, rest :10 and finish the last 10. 30-DONE!
  • For the 75 lbs: Bella Bar with 2 x 1 lb plates...take the 5lb plates off each side, put 15 lb plates on and put the 5 lb plates back on the outside.  Yes, very OCD! I planned to break them up in 5's. If I got tired, I would go by 3's/2's.
    • My first and second set of 5's felt soooo good!!!
    • My 3rd set of 5's had to go into 3's and 2's.
    • My 4th set of 5's went by 2's cause I failed at the 3rd one.
    • My last 6, I broke them up by 2's since I didn't want to waste energy. 30-DONE!
  • For the 100lbs: Bella Bar with 2 x 1 lb plates, took the 5lb plates off each side, put 10 lb plates on with the 5's and 2.5's plates. My goal was to have 2 minutes to attempt that 100!  I had 1:45 to attempt it!
    • First attempt: "Damn that is heavy"...30 seconds later...
    • Second attempt: Got it up to my chest...I didn't drop!!!! Clock had :30 left...
    • Third attempt at :10 to go: Got it up to my chest again...DANG that is HEAVY!!! TIME!!! Dang it...I didn't get that ONE!!!
I KNEW I could get those 60 reps...I figured I could attempt the 100 lbs...but to go from 85 lbs to 100 lbs within 2 days (Since I attempted my max lift on Tuesday), I didn't think it was possible.  But was it?  Was the motivation there...that I would have gotten so pissed, that I could have gotten it up?  Well, this week...I didn't get that 100 lb Snatch lift.

What I LOVE about my CrossFit journey is this...I don't plan to compete at Regionals this year. Just like an Ironman triathlete...it takes a while to get to an Ironman and to do it well...I have done that!!! This is the same journey. It takes a while to get to the CrossFit Games in LA and to get there...you have to do it well. And when you are looking at the "Eye on the Prize" as a Master's athlete...in 5 years...that 100 lb Snatch lift will be nothing!

No comments: