Monday, October 29, 2012

Everything comes down to...

As a runner and triathlete, you eat your "carbs"...pasta, bread, potatoes  more pasta. You carbo load (that is another blog to have) before your big race. For 15 years, that is what I have always done. Since it was the thing to do...especially if you are from the Midwest...you need to have your meat, veggies and starch!

Here is the thing...when I would eat bread, pasta, and carbo load, I would get bloated, couldn't go to the bathroom OR could barely make it to the bathroom. I would even feel "toxic" on my rides since I did not go to the bathroom for almost 3 days. If I was out running and I couldn't find a bathroom ..I would be in the woods. 

In 2003, I was suggested to take out gluten and wheat by Dr. Aaron Root in San Antonio. I did. Probably one of the best things I have ever done. He did suggest to me that I may eventually be able to add it back in. I was tested for Celiac disease...negative but I just felt better when I kept it out of my diet.  I was consistent with it for quite some time. I would add it back in occasionally and felt terrible. I would eat a lot of gluten free breads, pastas, rice, etc. but it started getting expensive. I eventually started eating starches again.

In Oct. 2008, I ended up having ischemic colitis, in between my first two miscarriages. February 2009, I got my 2nd colonoscopy and was clear on the colitis. 

February 2011, I went on a strict Paleo diet (another blog...but meats, veggies, fruit and good fats). I lost 6 lbs, fitness was top dog, got pregnant and I felt amazing. I guess pulling breads, pastas and starches was the thing to do??

In June 2011, I had the third miscarriage and went to food as comfort. I ate whatever I wanted...breads, pastas, drank beer, PIZZA, etc. I felt awful...I looked the same but my tummy was back to where it was when I would CARBO LOAD. I could barely make it to the bathroom on days when I had to coach CrossFit or had to go to the bathroom on my runs...gas station, the trails with doggy or wouldn't make it at all :( 

January - October 2012, I have been eating  what I wanted to eat and didn't really worry about the Paleo aspects. I would start Paleo for about 2 weeks and then fall off...BUT, the tummy issues started getting worse. I would eat granola and milk...in the bathroom within 5 minutes. I would have "food poisoning  alot!!! 

Today, I had a colonoscopy. RESULTS: Everything looked good. This is a good thing....a very good thing but UGHHHHHH!!!!!  

Is it a food issue? Wheat? Gluten? Dairy? Combination of food? Stress issues? 

I don't know what is going on...but that is what I am trying to do...I am trying to figure out. I went from the inside to the out...everything is good there. Now, I guess I need to start figuring out what is going IN to make these issues stop. I will go back to cutting out the diary (no cheese, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc) Then I will go back to taking out the wheat and gluten. 

Maybe I don't have a "label" of what is going on in my body (colitis, Celiac, Lactose Intolerance  etc) BUT what I do know, is that I can make choices of what goes in my body to make myself feel better. It actually is a pretty simple task...you just need to do it.


On a lighter note...one of my favorite shows, "Scrubs"...the song is called, "Everything comes down to Poo"






No comments: